‘RIDE FOR GREEN’ an initiative by The Imperial, New Delhi was undertaken for the first time on occasion of World Environment Day to promote responsible conduct to preserve the environment. A cycle rally with associates was organized to highlight alternative practices to “Beat Air Pollution” in alignment with the United Nation’s theme for this year. An extension of The Imperial’s pledge to #GiveUp plastic for Beating Plastic Pollution and decrease its usage, the cycle rally was a call to action to combat and adopt greener practices to reduce air pollution. From the hotel the cyclists went to Janpath Road heading to Dr Rajendra Prasad Marg, then to Raisina Road, Vijay Chowk, Rajpath & India Gate and came back to Janpath Road to return to the hotel.
Air Pollution has become a global crisis today, and the need for a green economy is paramount. The Imperial aims to broaden the conversation around air pollution through this initiative and urge people to make changes in everyday lives to combat air pollution and its effects on our own health.
We also undertook the following activities to make the associates and guests abreast about the need to beat air pollution:
• A floral installation art in the lobby was created by our flower team to promote human contribution in reducing Air Pollution to save our planet, our home.
• Planters were gifted to guests on World Environment Day to spread awareness on the ways to better the air quality in their homes, via indoor plants
• Responsive posters were displayed with the message “BEAT AIR POLLUTION”, across departments to promote United Nation’s theme
• A poster making and slogan writing competition was organised with employees to highlight the key message. Posters made by the hotel associates were displayed in the guest areas to highlight the hotel’s efforts and to raise awareness about World Environment Day
• The Imperial continues its pledge to #GiveUp plastic by reducing its usage and by segregating plastic waste for recycling into T-shirts, to Beat Plastic Pollution
• Posters in back of the house areas and lobby areas were placed for maximum outreach
Mr. Vijay Wanchoo Sr. Executive VP and GM The Imperial New Delhi expressed his views on the occasion “The Imperial New Delhi is committed towards adopting environment-friendly practices to ensure that we function as a responsible organization. With the ‘Ride for Green’ initiative we are expanding our sustainability efforts further to highlight the need for nature-friendly ways of transport as I believe that this is the need of the hour. We believe in changing for a better tomorrow and it all starts with us. Carrying forward our efforts to recycle and reduce plastic usage while reducing water wastage and energy consumption across the hotel, our endeavor to beat air pollution has just begun.”